Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I am truly a night owl.  Since the children left home it has gotten worse and worse. My hours are terrible.  Also, for about the past 6 months (since my knees have gotten so very bad) I usually sleep during the day and stay up all night long either on the computer or watching tv and recently reading.   What usually happens is that I go to bed sometime in the morning and then get up at about 4 or 5 pm,  just in time to make some dinner for John.  Since I can't go shopping anymore, what is the fun of being awake during the day?  

I see that I have one follower so far.  Thanks Rollerfink!! This guy is a friend of my son's and although I've never met him, he seems like the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He has the most adorable little girl about 2, maybe 3 and a newborn son.  He is from Australia but lives in Hawaii now. I hope to meet him someday.   I think he will find my blog pretty darn boring, but I'm happy he's reading.

Jeff is a wonderful writer.  When he was in college, he met a bunch of guys through some writing website and they all wrote a script together and in the process they became great friends and Rollerfink is one of those guys.   When Jeff went out to Los Angeles he roomed with a couple of them.  I think they all had great aspirations of becoming famous screenwriters.  Jeff got a pretty good job and worked for a few years and then decided he wasn't happy with things he was doing, and decided to go back to school and get his Master's in History and continue on and get his Phd.  He wants to ultimately teach college History.   He will soon be finished with his Master's from California State University at Northridge.  He received a scholarship from Cal State and also a Fellowship.  He is currently student teaching 2 classes and working on his Thesis.

Jenny graduated from Emerson College in Boston, where she majored in Theater, with an emphasis on Directing.  She has worked at several theaters and is a member of  the BRIMMER STREET THEATER COMPANY.   She is Directing a play this spring in Los Angeles.  While doing this, she is also very busy working full time at UCLA.  She also has plans to get her Master's.

Lastly, since I'm telling you about my family...is John.  We have been married almost 33 years and most of those years, John was in the Navy.  He was a Ltjg when we met and spent 31 years in the submarine service.  He retired from the Navy in 2003 as a Rear Admiral.  He works full time with the Department of Defense.  More about him later...  


Today I'm setting up all of my pre-op appointments. I have to get a chest x-ray, lab work, an EKG and I have to talk to the Internal Meds doctor and a social worker.  I'm not so nervous about things yet.  I'm reading a very interesting book about Total Knee Replacement and Rehab and it is very informative.  I've started all the pre-op exercises and WOW...am I out of shape!!

Some days, I worry about the fact that I still have pain in my ankles and I wonder how much improvement I will get from this bilateral knee replacement.  Then I will have an errand to run or something to do that keeps me on my feet and I start feeling the intense pain and stiffness in my knees, and then I know it is the right thing to do.

After the accident in 1972 and all the surgeries, I could get around pretty well. I didn't need a cane or anything for assistance and I was able to have 2 wonderful pregnancies with no complications.   My left leg had been in a cast for 15 months after the surgery because I had a very large section of bone in my left tibia that had "died" due to an overwhelming infection.  I had to have a bone graft in late 1973.  I had also had surgery to fuse my right ankle.  The left ankle fused itself from being in the cast so long.   Then around 1998 I joined a gym and started working out regularly.  Part of the workout was moving my ankles as much as I could on certain equipment.  Much to my surprise, I regained a good bit of motion in BOTH of my ankles.  This was definitely not a good thing.  With the movement, came severe arthritis...thus the surgery in 1999 to insert screws in my right ankle and refuse it and then in 2001, I had the same thing done to the left ankle.   I guess it is a wonder I'm still walking at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment