Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I had stayed up all night last night with the idea in mind of getting to the hospital early and get this blood drawing over with. I still had to get a chest xray and a shot to prevent shingles zostor. Apparently this is nasty little rash that seems to come on people over 60 and I'm told they are quite ugly, itchy and painful.  They look like chichen pox.  So, I got that vaccination.  Ten I walked to the laboratory where they had to take my blood and my pee for testing to see it it was ok and if I was ok for surgery.   I'm usually a very difficult needle stick and have been ever since I got the Chemo in 1994. I think they exploded all the veins in the bend of my arm.  I always dead these blood daws because they are so hard.  Today, I stated slapping and rubbing my arm as soon as I sat down and I explained to the tech that he wouldn't be about to get any blood out of the bend in my arm and so he stated looking other places.  the heavens smiled on me....he got the needle in at his first attempt and I didn't even feel it. I think we should make this guy a doctor right on the spot.

I had to pee in a cup and then I was sent on my way.  By the time I had walked to these 3 clinics using just a cane, my knees were feeling very stiff and I was having to stop and rest probably about every 10 to 15 feet and sit down and rest.  I can go much faster with the can than I can with the walker, so if there are places for me to sit down occasionally, I prefer the cane.

The bad news is that once I got to my car.  My left leg was completely stiff. It would not bend at all.  I had to get behind the drivers seat and the seat was pushed back as far as it would go and it just wouldn't fit.  I had to relax the leg and slowly manually put it in the car.  I was in quite a bit of pain too.   Both knees were aching.  I had hoped to go by target and use one of their electric wheelchairs and do some browsing (I need birthday wrapping paper) but I was in too much pain. I coudn't do it. I was probably very comical watching me get into the house from the car.  I was bent over like a 150 year old person and taking tiny tiny steps.   I was in bad shape.
I took the dogs and crawled up stairs and laid across the bed.  It is 12:30  pm by now.  I went fast asleep and didnt wake up until I heard Maxie come home about 9 pm.  I got up and my knees felt much better...they needed that rest.

Mlou has been sick for the past several months.  Not enough to keep her home and she still goes out with  Roy and does the things that they do, but she says she just isn't feeling well.  She seems to have lost her appetite and has a general feeling of nausea.  She is 74 so it is something she needs to see a dr about.  I told her the symptons sound an awful lot like my symptoms when I had my gall bladder out in 1997.  Well, finally today she went to the dr. and he suspects it is the gall bladder too. They are going to do some tests this week.  She has lost 10 lbs because ever since these symptoms started she hasn't felt like eating.  I hope it  is something easily curable like the gall bladder.  Something else could be more serious and that's no fun at all.

I've been talking to my nephew Harry.  He is a doctor and he has told me some things to expect and some things to look for.  I like having a doctor in the family.  He is so smart and has been very helpful with  medical questions we have had through the years. I wish we lived closer. He is in San Diego.  John and I are talking about moving to Orange County once he quits work for good if our children are both still in Los Angeles by then.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy!
    What a wonderful idea to do this blog, so far you are off to a great start. I particularly enjoy reading your snippets about family history - hope you will continue with more stories of the past. I'd be interested to hear more about how it was for you after your terrible accident and how you coped being laid up in the hospital for so long. Maybe, your experience getting through such a difficult time will help you get through this one.

    How long will you be up in LA? How long is Jenny's play going on for? Maybe we can get up there to see you if you are up for company this time - if not then after you've recovered and more up for hanging out.

    I look forward to reading more, thanks for sending me the link.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, I will write more on that period of my life at some point. Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete