Friday, April 17, 2009

Now I'm getting nervous!!!

With my surgery less than a week away, I'm starting to think about it and worry.  I suppose that is natural.  My knees hurt more than usual because I had to stop taking my pain meds, cuz the Dr. said that they might interfere with my blood clotting during and after surgery.  I just want to get it over with.

I can't stand up long enough to make dinner and I feel so helpless.  My only contribution to the household right now is that I'm able to sit at the computer and pay bills.  Seems like that is all I do these days is sit at the computer and then when nightfall hits, I switch to my chair and turn on the tv...I had to start using a walker here in the house too.  What a bummer!!

This reminds me so much of the days 37 years ago after the bad accident.   I hate this!! However, I know I'm lucky in many ways. I have security and I'm surrounded by love.  

Today is Jeff's 30th birthday.  I know that 30 years ago today was one of the happiest days of my life.  Having had 2 miscarriages, I was paranoid constantly that I wouldn't get through the pregnancy.  A couple of weeks before he was due, the Dr. said that it didn't look like he had turned yet and he was afraid that his head was  not getting into position to be born.  So, he sent me for X-rays.  Sure enough, Jeff was a transverse lie.  He was laying sideways and there was absolutely no room for him to move into position.  The Dr. said he could not be born this way.  He said that the contractions could break Jeff's back and might even kill me.  So, he said we had to schedule a C-section immediately.  John played on some softball team at the time and he wanted to to schedule it so he wouldn't have to miss a game.  The Dr. suggested the 18th of April and John said no...because he had a game that day.  Could we do it on the 17th and the Dr. agreed.  So, Jeff was born on the 17th of April.  His due date was April 25th.

I had a spinal and was joyfully awake during the entire thing.  John was by my side and it was so funny watching John watch them cut me and the amazed look on his face.  As soon as they cut the uterus open Jeff's feet popped out.  Then they brought him out and he was PERFECT.
They took him away to do his Apgar's (they were perfect scores) and weigh him, etc. 6 lbs 9 oz.
John went with them so as not to take his eyes off our bundle of joy.

They took me in a recovery room and then they brought Jeff to me.  John and a nurse sitting by my side.  They brought Jeff in and I put him to my breast.  I have photos of that moment in my life and I remember being so very happy.

The  second  happiest moment in my life was when Jenny was born.  The Dr. gave me a choice of a vaginal birth this time, but I wanted nothing to do with that.  I had previously had a good experience with Jeff and I wanted to do the same thing again.  Everything went perfectly with Jenny.  I also have a photo of me holding her immediately after she was born.  She also had a perfect Apgar score!!

Both of them nursed well and gave me the most fulfilled feeling possible.  It is nice to remember those days.  The days of when they were little.  They were indeed the "good old days".  I appreciated them every minute of it then too.  My mother told me one time when they were very little that THESE ARE the good old days, and I never forgot that.  It gives me wonderful memories and I am so proud of both of them now.  

Cindy and Stella need to go to the vet for their shots.  I made an appointment for both of them to go tomorrow (Saturday) so that John can take them.  This will be his first experience of taking them to the vet.  He loves the dogs too.  I can't wait to see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. Your memories of having your kids is precious. I hope the pain is not too bad with the knees and that your surgery is totally successful. I love you, Auntie.

    ReplyDelete